Learn how to use video tech to stay connected
How to Use Video Technology to Stay Connected; A Step by Step Guide
Social interaction can easily be classified as a basic human need, and during the current COVID-19 global pandemic, social distancing has left many missing the intimate connections of friends and family. Social distancing can be particularly difficult for the aging population, as they may find themselves now not just socially distant, but completely isolated. Any change is difficult, but especially for the elderly who may find it hard to adapt to these sudden transitions.
Thanks to technology, video calls are now an easy way to keep connected with family and friends. Even pre-pandemic, many American’s used video calls and conferences on a daily basis, but for the aging population this may be a new skill to learn. It is important to help elderly family members feel confident how to operate these video calls allowing them to both participate as well as use these calls on their own. Below are step-by-step instructions on how to use FaceTime and Zoom to stay connected with family and friends.
In this article we cover:
How to Make a New FaceTime Call
How To Sign Up For Zoom
How to Join a New Zoom Desktop Call
How to Make a New Call on the Zoom App
How to Join a Call on the Zoom App
How to Join a Zoom Call from an Email
1. How to Make a New FaceTime Call:
1. Open the FaceTime App, FaceTime can only be used on Apple products, such as iPhone and iPads
2. Click the + icon in the top right corner
3. Type in the names or phone numbers of the people you would like to add to the call (up to 32 people can be on the call). If the person you want to contact is saved in your phone as a contact, their name will appear. If the number is not saved as a contact, you will have to type in the number of the person you would like to video call. You can also click on the circle with a + inside it to open up your contacts list and select people there. Tap their name to open up the contact, then tap their number to add them.
4. Click the green video button to start the video call. Clicking on the audio button will NOT start a video call, it will start a traditional voice only connection.
How to Join a FaceTime Call:
If someone is calling to FaceTime you a notification will appear on the screen.
A “Slide to Answer” symbol at the bottom of the screen will appear at the bottom of the screen. Use your index finger “slide” your finger left to right over the symbol.
Tap the green join call at the bottom right part of your screen if you do not go right into the call.
2. How To Sign Up for Zoom
**It is important to remember with Zoom that each meeting has a unique 9, 10, or 11-digit number called a “Meeting ID” that will be required to join a Zoom meeting. You must have an active email address to use Zoom.
1. Open up your web browser of choice (Google, Internet Explorer, ect).
2. Type Zoom into the search engine, and click on the link that brings up Zoom.
3. Click “Sign Up for Free” and complete the registration.
4. A link will be sent to your email.
5. Click the link in your email to verify your data.
6. Finish signing up.
7. You can now use the Zoom website for all calls.
3. How to Join a New Zoom Desktop Call:
1. Open Zoom on your web browser and sign in.
2. If you are not signed in, join a meeting by clicking the long blue join meeting button. If you are signed in, click the square blue button with a plus sign labeled “Join”.
3. Enter a meeting ID, a number that will be sent to you prior to the start of the video call
4. Enter your display name
5. Select if you would like to connect audio and your camera
6. Click join button
4. How to Make a New Call on the Zoom App:
1. Download the Zoom app from the Apple Store or Google Play Store.
2. Click the Zoom app to open.
3. Click the orange “New Meeting” button in the upper left hand corner.
4. Press the blue “Start New Meeting Button”.
5. To add friends and family, click “Invite Participants” on the bottom of the screen.
6. Click the “Invite” button on the bottom left of the screen.
7. Then either click the “Send Message” or “Invite Contacts” option.
8. Using the “Send Message” option requires you to insert a number or contact name and will send the link to the Zoom call as a text.
9. Using the “Invite Contacts” does the same, but allows you to pick the participants from your contact list saved on your phone.
10. The meeting will start once others join the call.
5. How to Join a Call on the Zoom App:
1. Open the Zoom mobile app.
2. Tap “Join a Meeting” if you don’t want to sign in, or sign in to zoom and tap join.
3. Enter the meeting ID number.
4. Enter your display name.
5. Select you would like to use your audio and camera.
6. Click the “Join” button.
6. How to Join a Zoom Call from an Email:
1. Click the link in your email or calendar invitation.
2. You may be prompted to open Zoom.
3. If so, click “Allow”. Do not click “Cancel” if you intend to join the call.
4. Your video call will start immediately.
There are multiple ways the elderly can stay connected to those most dear to them. Picking the best option for them is the next step, whether it be FaceTime, Zoom, or another tool. The guides above will help those distanced from family socializing with their loved ones before they know it.