Learn how to use home heaters safely
Space heaters - including kerosene, gas and LP gas heaters - can cause fires and carbon monoxide poisoning if not used correctly.
Safe practices include:
Installing and using heaters according to instructions
Placing heaters away from walkways, curtains and other flammable materials
Venting heaters outside or using them in an area with good air flow
Only using dried-out wood, newspaper and kindling in fireplaces and woodstoves to avoid toxic fumes
Over time, creosote builds up in wood stoves and fireplaces and can cause fires. Clogged chimneys can push smoke and poisonous fumes into the home. Licensed professionals can check and clean wood stoves and fireplaces each year, to avoid safety issues.