Doctor visit checklist for older adults
On average, older adults in the United States spend 17 days a year in a healthcare setting. Adequately preparing for these visits can make appointments go smoother and improve health outcomes. To ensure you are prepared, consider using this easy to follow doctor visit checklist:
1. Do you have transportation to and from the appointment?
2. Is a companion necessary for the visit?
3. Is it necessary to contact the insurance company ahead of time for pre-certification or other purposes?
4. Is everything you need packed?
Payment for co-pays or other charges
Contact information for other doctors
List of current medications
List of allergies/medical conditions
Medical records, if needed
A list of questions for the doctor
A notepad or device for note-taking
5. Questions to ask after the appointment:
Is further testing (or labs) required?
When should new prescriptions be picked up?
Are there any instructions or treatment notes seniors can take home with them?
When should follow-up appointments be scheduled, if necessary?
Is any payment due?