17 Ways to Enjoy Your Time at Home
While practicing social distancing as suggested by experts, how can we combat the boredom that creeps in as we stay at home 24/7? It's time to try new things and stretch our imaginations a bit. We've created a list of fun ideas to help pass the time while staying in:
1. Download the Nextdoor app on your phone.
Nextdoor is your local hub to connect and share with your neighborhood. It's where communities come together to keep a local shopkeeper in business. Neighbors can exchange recommendations for babysitters, plans for local events and tips about what to order at that new cafe down the street. Local agencies can connect with neighbors in need. It’s your opportunity to feel safe and connected with others in your neighborhood. Take a look at Nextdoor here.
2. Download coloring sheets for seniors.
It's always fun to color; a pastime that has no age limit. Click here to browse the 100s of coloring sheets you can download, print and color!
3. Do some puzzles.
You'll never run out of crosswords to download, check out the large print ones found here, and the daily LA Times crossword available here. Download, print and solve! Find more puzzles here: Chicago Tribune Daily Sudoku Chicago Tribune Daily Jumble
4. Take some free online courses.
What have you always had a curiosity about? Is it time to take a class to learn more? With all the free online college courses available, you can take classes on everything from gardening to astrophysics. Take a look at the free online courses you can enroll in today.
5. Read free ebooks.
Check out this site for a list of the 10 best free ebook download sites, and download a huge selection of free books to your digital reader.
6. Listen to classic audiobooks.
How about listening to an audiobook? Sit back, relax, listen and enjoy a classic! Wouldn't it be wonderful to have someone read to you? Check here. Love the classic kids’ tales? Choose your favorites here.
7. Listen to a mystery, thriller or true crime podcast.
Podcasts are all the rage today. You simply find a podcast you're interested in and listen! Use your smart phone with a podcast app to listen. There are podcasts for every possible interest. You may like thrillers or detective stories—there are podcasts for these genres. Most podcasts air new material with a weekly or monthly cadence. Find what interests you and start listening! Check out the great who-dunnits! Search thrillers here.
8. Clean out your closet and donate clothes you no longer wear. Okay, so this one is not as fun, but you will feel great when it’s done!
9. Download games to your phone. Here’s a list of top game apps for seniors and how to download them.
10. Write cards or letters. When is the last time you wrote a letter to a friend or loved one?
11. Bake something yummy. When is the last time you baked cookies or that delicious angel food cake? 12. Start your spring cleaning. Well, now you have the time! You can do a little each day and before you know it, you’ll have a tidy, clean abode.
13. Become the family historian. Keep a journal about this historic time. Make note of breaking news and trends, and describe what it feels like. Document any major developments and how they affect you and your loved ones.